Peru with Machu Picchu - With Me to We, Summer 2021
Brochure Type: Latin America 2021
From two nights in Machu Picchu, to delving into Incan history and learning more about local foods and culture and archaeology, prepare for a leisurely, enriching trip in Peru. Along the way, nourish your taste palates with a traditional Peruvian feast at Laguna Piuray and tasty regional treats in Cusco. Your Travel Director will be on hand throughout your trip to offer local advice, recommendations and travel tips.
- Paracas: Explore this beautiful area before heading to the nearby city of Ica for lunch and a pisco distillery for a tasting.
- Lima: Unwind at your luxury abode, before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers in the evening for a Welcome Dinner.
- Lima: Indulge on a Highlight Lunch in its 18th century garden setting.
- Sacred Valley After a few photo opportunities along the way to the Sacred Valley, enjoy lunch at Altar Inca.
- Sacred Valley: Make your way to Laguna Piuray where you'll enjoy your Highlight Lunch of Pachamanca, a traditional Peruvian feast.
- Sacred Valley: Explore its grounds and sit down for a special Peruvian Dinner.
- Machu Picchu: Enjoy lunch on your way to Machu Picchu pueblo.
- Machu Picchu: End your day with dinner and drinks at your hotel.
- Machu Picchu: Head back to your hotel to unwind, before sitting down to a Highlight Dinner with your fellow travellers.
- Cusco: Have lunch at Pachapapa.
- Cusco: Try some local delicacies paired with hot wine at the city's planetarium.
- Cusco: In the evening, join your fellow travellers for a memorable Celebration Dinner at Calle del Medio, where you will toast to your adventure.
- Dining Summary: 13 Breakfasts (B), 10 Lunches (L), 3 Dinners (D) and 5 Dinners with wine (DW).
- Machu Picchu: In the afternoon, take your first guided visit to Machu Picchu, where you'll meet your Local Experts.
- Cusco Later, make your way to the city's planetarium for a private, after-hours tour.
- Lima: Explore with your Local Expert this morning, including the Cathedral of Lima, the Government Palace, Archbishop's Palace and the City Hall.
- Lima: After lunch, meet a local guide who will take you around the museum's private collection.
- Sacred Valley: Start with a visit to the Maras salt pans. Move on to an Incan laboratory in Moray, then visit and support a local traditional Quechua weaver.
- Machu Picchu: On the way, visit the Ollantaytambo ruins. Visit a local house in the village and meet the family living there.
- Machu Picchu: Transfer to the station for your 360 IncaRail train ride.
- Cusco: Once you arrive, head on a walking tour with a Local Expert. Visit its cathedral and the Korikancha temple.
- Cusco: Start your day with a walking tour of Cusco, before heading to Sacsayhuaman.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (336) 243-2153 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15110393
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2020
- 14 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lima||Arrive in Lima.: Welcome to Lima. On arrival, you'll be greeted at the airport and transferred to your hotel. Unwind at your luxury abode, before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers in the evening for a Welcome Dinner with drinks.|
|Day 2||Lima||Explore Lima.: Explore the colourful capital of Peru in the morning with your Local Expert. Delve into its colonial past and visit key attractions, including the Cathedral of Lima, the Government Palace, Archbishop's Palace and the City Hall. Visit the San Francisco Monastery and its underground cemetery. One for those with an appreciation for art, head to Museo Larco, a private museum located in Lima's Pueblo Libre District. It is the highest-rated museum in South America and houses the largest collection of Pre-Columbian art. Indulge on a Highlight Lunch in its 18th century garden setting. After lunch, meet a local guide who will take you around the Museo Larco and share the museum's private collection with you. Delve into Peruvian culture, it's ancient history and religious beliefs. Return to your hotel and enjoy an evening at leisure. (Breakfast / Lunch)|
|Day 3||Sacred Valley||Lima to Sacred Valley.: Take a transfer to the airport in the morning, where you'll catch your flight to Cusco. Begin your tour of the Sacred Valley. On the way, take in impressive views on your scenic drive. There will be several places to stop for photo opportunities along the way. Enjoy lunch at Altar Inca. It is here you'll find the most impressive views of the area. Move leisurely on to your hotel for the next couple of nights. The evening is yours to do with as you please. We recommend that you rest in order to adjust to the altitude comfortably. (Breakfast / Lunch)|
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness.
|Day 4||Sacred Valley||Explore Sacred Valley.: Start the morning off with a visit to the Maras salt pans, where the Incas harvested their salt. Today, the salt from Maras is exported to the entire world. Move on to an Incan laboratory in Moray, an archaeological site close to Cusco. Find out more about the ideal altitude to grow crops in the Sacred Valley and learn about ancient weaving techniques in a private textile presentation. You'll also have the opportunity to visit and support a local traditional Quechua weaver in the Sacred Valley and learn about the importance these textiles have in shaping personal and regional identities. Make your way to Laguna Piuray where you'll enjoy Pachamanca, a traditional Peruvian feast, for your Highlight Lunch. In the evening, transfer to Hacienda Huayoccari, a gem of the Sacred Valley. Explore its grounds and visit a small museum there. Sit down for a special Peruvian dinner before heading back to your hotel, the luxury Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 5||Machu Picchu||Explore Machu Picchu.: Transfer to the station for your IncaRail train ride. Enjoy lunch on your way to Machu Picchu pueblo, the gateway village to Machu Picchu. On the way, visit the Ollantaytambo ruins. Visit a local house in the village's cobblestoned old town and meet the family living there. In the afternoon, visit Machu Picchu, where you'll meet your Local Experts for a guided visit in small groups. They will take you through the ruins and explain their historical and archaeological significance, as well the importance of their location. Set high in the Andes Mountains, it offers spectacular scenery and history, dating back to the 15th century. End your day with dinner and drinks at your hotel. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner with Wine)|
Forrest by Inkaterra Hotel, Machu Picchu.
|Day 6||Machu Picchu||Machu Picchu at Leisure.: Take in the breathtaking landscapes of Machu Picchu for a second time. Spend your morning exploring at your own pace, with your Travel Director on hand to answer any queries you may have. The afternoon is yours at leisure. Relax back at your hotel or perhaps explore the town of Aguas Calientes on your own. Head back to your hotel to unwind, before sitting down to a Highlight Dinner with your fellow travellers. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||Cusco||Cusco: After breakfast, return by train to Ollantaytambo, where you will transfer to the ancient city of Cusco. Once the capital of the Inca Empire, Cusco showcases a mix of Spanish colonial architecture, ancient remains and a lively cosmopolitan scene for modern inhabitants. On arrival in Cusco, head on a walking tour with a Local Expert. Visit its cathedral and the Korikancha temple, the most important temple in the Inca Empire. The evening is yours at leisure. Ask your Travel Director for local restaurant and bar recommendations. (Breakfast)|
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco.
|Day 8||Cusco||Exploring Cusco.: Start your day with a walking tour of Cusco, before heading to Sacsayhuaman, a citadel built in the reign of Pachacuti Inca Yupanqui, the ninth Sapa Inca of the Kingdom of Cusco. After lunch at Pachapapa, visit San Blas Church and the surrounding streets, before making your way to San Pedro Market, where you will find local produce. Later, make your way to the city's planetarium, for a private, after-hours tour. Learn about astronomy, cosmology, and its influence on Andean culture. While here, try some local delicacies paired with hot wine. (Breakfast / Lunch)|
|Day 9||Cusco||Leisure time in Cusco.: Choose between optional visits to Rainbow Mountain, the ChocoMuseo, where you'll learn more about the chocolate making process, or perhaps relax and simply enjoy the facilities at your hotel? Set in a beautiful 16th century building, make the most of this boutique hotel's signature spa and Andean-inspired healing treatments, massages, facials and custom spa packages. In the evening, join your fellow travellers for a memorable Celebration Dinner at Calle del Medio, where you will toast to your adventure and end of your trip. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 10||Cusco||Depart Cusco: It's time to say goodbye to your fellow travellers as your trip comes to an end. Take a private transfer to Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport. Make your own way to Quito today and continue your adventure with ME to WE. Welcome to Ecuador! Once you land, collect your luggage and make your way through customs to the arrival area of Quito's Mariscal Sucre International Airport, where a representative will be waiting to greet you. After a quick transfer from the airport, check in to your hotel. (Breakfast)|
|Day 11||Tena||Jungle river cruise to Minga Lodge.: Wake to a complimentary breakfast to fuel you for the journey ahead. After breakfast you'll be transferred to the airport for your one-hour flight to Coca airport in the Amazon basin. Descend into the Amazon Basin and board your jungle river cruise expedition. Head on a two-hour outboard motor canoe ride up the Rio Napo, an Amazon River tributary, situated in one of the most biodiverse regions on the planet. Feel the cool breeze on your face and watch the vibrantly coloured birds fly above as your driver and cultural expert gives you an insider's view of Amazon River culture. Step off the boat at Minga Lodge just in time to take in your first spectacular Amazonian sunset over the Rio Napo. Your lush tropical surroundings will be glowing pink and orange as you snack on local treats such as plantain chips and yucca fritters, paired with a glass of chilled guayusa tea. Explore Minga Lodge, tucked into the jungle overlooking the river, and follow a ME to WE team member along winding pathways and raised walkways to your cottage, nestled into the natural hillside environment. Meet with the team to learn about WE Village's development model and how it works within the unique local environment. Its core mission is empowerment in developing countries. Later, let the aromas of cumin, oregano, garlic and onion be your guide as you make your way back to the dining hall from your cabin, along meandering stone pathways and over a footbridge across the creek. Feast on Western favourites and local delicacies like heart of palm, stinging nettle and fish cooked in palm leaves. For those after true regional flavours, add some fire to your Welcome Dinner, with a scoop of aji hot sauce. You also have the option of joining a playful, educational group language lesson, where you will learn key Spanish phrases that will help to foster your connection with new friends in the community. Challenge your senses with blindfolded taste tests and other interactive teaching tools, then partner up and practice your greetings with a fellow traveller. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)|
Minga Lodge, Tena.
|Day 12||A Day for Community||A Day for Community.: Before breakfast, explore the trails of a nearby 300-hectare forest reserve, where you will get your first taste of exploring the Amazon rainforest. Journey onwards and hike deep into primary and secondary rainforest, where, if you are lucky, you may see a myriad of flora and fauna, including toucan, long-tailed potoos, gargantuan cebo trees and countless species of insects, spiders and snakes. After breakfast, join your group and a ME to WE team member for a short jungle walk or canoe ride to the nearby community, where you will help build local infrastructure as part of a WE Village's development project. Gain insight into the community mindset of the Kichwa people as you listen to the inspiring story of how Craig and Marc Kielburger witnessed a spontaneous and powerful community movement -a minga-years ago that inspired the formation of ME to WE, and of course the naming of Minga Lodge. Back at the lodge, sit down with new friends on the indoor-outdoor dining terrace and revel in the excitement and anticipation of upcoming opportunities and activities. As the community develops, priorities and tasks will shift, creating new opportunities all the time. Grab a friend, some new tools, and try your hand at something new - be it digging a well, laying the foundation for a health centre, or whatever else the community may need most that day. Gather around the dinner table for a family style feast and some down time with the group. After such a successful day filled to the brim with new experiences, why not make tonight the night that you challenge your palate and try something new entirely? (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)|
|Day 13||Farmlands and night hikes in the wild||Farmlands and night hikes in the wild.: Continue the work you started and try changing roles and building new skills. Meet new locals and learn about the unique needs of their community. For lunch, make your way back to Minga Lodge for a little rest and replenishment before continuing on with the day's activities. Later, roll up your sleeves and join a local farmer to help carry out some of their daily activities, such as planting seeds, fetching water from the river and harvesting crops. Share stories and photos with friends over a stunning sunset dinner perched above the Rio Napo. Tune in to your senses and enjoy the warm breeze on your skin, the richness of spices on your senses, and the emerging sounds of jungle fauna all around. When the sun goes down, take a wild Amazonian night hike to see the rainforest when it really comes alive. Grab your flashlight and set out on an adventurous night with your cultural guide who will take you, as close as comfort allows, to see for yourself what has been making all that noise after sundown. Common sightings include frogs, spiders, tree snakes, caimans and owls. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)|
|Day 14||Quito||Depart for Quito.: Say goodbye to the steamy Amazon, its amazing people and way of life. Begin the first leg of your journey as you entered Minga - by boat. Expect a two-hour boat river ride towards Coca, where you will fly back to Quito. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Prices include economy air and air-related charges for the flights between Lima - Cusco and requires purchase of round trip air travel on LATAM between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities (ticket number required). If flying with another airline between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities, the above prices will be higher. This trip experiences high elevations, we recommend guests with preexisting medical conditions talk with a doctor prior to travel.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class