Brochure Type: Eastern Mediterranean 2020
Take a leisurely jaunt through Turkey to visit the extraordinary excavations at Ephesus, the underground city of Sarhatli on the ancient Silk Road and Istanbul's bustling city markets.
- SIGHTSEEING TOUR with a Local Specialist in Istanbul
- VISIT the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Anzac Cove and the War Cemeteries at Gallipoli, the ancient ruins of Troy, the Asclepion Medical Centre at Pergamon, the ancient city at Ephesus, the Cotton Castle Springs in Pamukkale, the Archaeological Museum in Antalya, the home of the Whirling Dervishes at Konya, the underground city of Saratli, Goreme Open Air Museum and the Museum of Anatolian Civilisation at Ankara
- VIEW the Wooden Horse at Troy
- 13 breakfasts
- 1 lunch (Be My Guest)
- 10 dinners
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Ferry across the Dardanelles from Eceabat to Canakkale.
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Handcrafted Highlights
- VIP entry to many sights
Call (336) 243-2153 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14744175
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 3/31/2020
- 14 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Istanbul||Arrive Istanbul (2 Nights): Stand at the ancient crossroads between Europe and Asia, embarking on a journey of discovery through ancient lands and the marauding empires who fought to rule it. Arriving in vibrant Istanbul, you will be transferred to your hotel before joining your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a memorable Welcome Reception to kick off your epic adventure.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 2||Istanbul||Istanbul Sightseeing and Free Time: Spend your day delving into a city where modern and ancient coexist effortlessly. Gain insights into the Ottoman Empire's power during your guided tour of the Topkapi Palace and see the 4th-century Egyptian obelisk. Visit Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome and the exquisite Blue Mosque, said to rival even the Great Mosque in Mecca. 'Dive Into Culture' this afternoon, with a visit to the Grand Bazaar. Spend your afternoon haggling with passionate market vendors lining its labyrinthine lanes. This evening, consider an optional dinner with Turkish folk and belly dancing.|
|Day 3||Canakkale||Istanbul Sightseeing - Troy - Canakkale (2 Nights): Leaving Istanbul behind, you'll cross the Dardanelles Strait by ferry to Çanakkale. Visit the Archaeological Site of Troy and the replica wooden horse which famously ended a 10-year siege. Then, return to Çanakkale and check in to your hotel, leaving later this evening to attend the Dawn Service.|
|Day 4||Canakkale||Canakkale: Witness the stirring dawn tribute at Anzac Cove and pay your respects to the brave soldiers who lost their lives during poignant ceremonies held at Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair. Return to your hotel in Çanakkale later this afternoon and spend the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 5||Izmir||Canakkale - Gallipoli - Izmir: Cross the Dardanelle Strait again and visit Anzac Cove, Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair. You'll be reminded of the sacrifices made by both sides during World War I before returning to Çanakkale and then on to Izmir where you'll spend the night.|
|Day 6||Pamukkale||Izmir - Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary - Pamukkale: Stroll through the ruins of Ephesus and see the House of Virgin Mary at Mt. Koressos before continuing to Pamukkale.|
|Day 7||Antalya||Pamukkale - Hieropolis - Antalya (2 Nights): Tread in the footsteps of the ancients who sought relief and relaxation at the Roman health spa at Hieropolis, then admire the bubbling pools and delicate white cascades of water of Pamukkale's Cotton Castle Springs. Later, we travel through scenic countryside and join the Yazir community in the Taurus Mountains, where we'll 'Connect With Locals' and gain insights into their traditions at our 'Be My Guest' lunch. Our stop for the next two nights is the Mediterranean retreat of Antalya. Enjoy some time on your own ambling through the winding lanes of its old city and admiring beautifully preserved Ottoman architecture. This evening, join your companions for a rousing Regional Dinner at a local restaurant.|
|Day 8||Perge||Perge Excursion: Enjoy a morning on your terms to soak up the enchanting seaside atmosphere of the Turkish Riviera, embarking on an optional yacht cruise or relaxing at the hotel pool. This afternoon, we travel to the Roman city of Perge to visit the impressive Antalya Archaeological Museum and see treasures spanning the centuries. Your evening is free to find an inviting meyhane for some local chit chat and delicious flavours of kebab and baklava.|
|Day 9||Konya||Antalya - Aspendos - Konya: Witness the world's best-preserved theatre of antiquity during your first stop in Aspendos this morning, before continuing to Konya, where we will gain insights into the mystical Whirling Dervish sect whose remains lie in the Mevlana Museum and Mausoleum. We continue to the Karatay Tile Museum, spellbound by its exquisitely Seljuk-tiled dome, before returning to our hotel where we'll dine tonight.|
|Day 10||Cappadocia||Konya - Cappadocia (2 Nights): See a well-preserved 13th-century caravanserai, at which weary travellers used to rest. We journey to Cappadocia with its honey-coloured rocky spires providing an enchanting backdrop for our visit to the underground city of Sarhatli on the ancient Silk Road. This evening, indulge in the flavours of traditional pottery kebabs during a Regional Dinner at a local restaurant, before retiring to your hotel with beautiful views of the surrounding fairy chimneys.? Tonight we stay in one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' located alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle.|
|Day 11||Goreme||Goreme Excursion: The other-worldly landscapes of Cappadocia take centre stage today as we explore its volcanic landscape dotted with caves and troglodyte dwellings. We visit the Goreme Open-Air Museum to admire the extraordinary rock-hewn churches and learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos before dining in our hotel this evening.?|
|Day 12||Ankara||Cappadocia - Ankara: Arriving in the youthful capital of Turkey today, we visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations and the final resting place of the country's beloved Ataturk, the first president of the modern Turkish nation. This evening we dine at our hotel in Ankara.|
|Day 13||Istanbul||Ankara - Istanbul Free Time: Returning to Istanbul, we enjoy the rest of the day on our own. Delve into the depths of the Basilica Cistern, savour the intoxicating smells of the Spice Market or ascend Galata Tower for exquisite views of east and west. Consider an optional cruise navigating the waters of the Bosphorus before meeting your Travel Director and fellow companions for a memorable Farewell Dinner.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 14||Istanbul||Depart Istanbul: Our epic journey into antiquity has come to an end as we bid Istanbul and newfound friends a fond farewell. Transfers are available. Conditions apply.?|
- Travel to Europe often requires an overnight flight. Please arrange flights to arrive on or before Day 1.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class